In our Aug/Sept issue, Rob Erdos muses on float flying and we discuss night aerial firefighting. Plus: Air Canada in the pandemic, KF Aerospace at 50 and Canadians in the Battle of Britain.
Garmin International, Inc., a unit of Garmin Ltd., announced certification of the G1000 NXi integrated flight deck upgrade for Embraer’s Phenom 100 business jets equipped with the Prodigy Flight Deck. The G1000 NXi offers these aircraft owners and operators an array of modern features, including wireless connectivity, SurfaceWatch runway monitoring technology, visual approach guidance, HSI map and more. The displays also preserve the same footprint and connectors so time to complete the G1000 NXi upgrade is minimized.
“Since its introduction, the G1000 NXi integrated flight deck continues to grow in popularity and demand,” said Carl Wolf, vice-president of Aviation Sales and Marketing. “From forward-fit to retrofit, we are thrilled by the tremendous adoption rate of the G1000 NXi and look forward to adding more aircraft to the approval list and continuing to deliver the system to thousands of customers well into the future.”
A wealth of modern integrated flight deck features and benefits accompany the G1000 NXi upgrade in the Phenom 100. Wireless connectivity is available as standard with the Flight Stream 510 and Connext technology, which enables the wireless transfer of aviation databases from the Garmin Pilot app on a mobile device to the G1000 NXi. Additional wireless capabilities include two-way flight plan transfer, the sharing of traffic, weather, GPS information, back-up attitude information and more, between the G1000 NXi and the Garmin Pilot, FltPlan Go and ForeFlight Mobile applications.
The G1000 NXi also supports the display of Automatic Dependent Surveillance-Broadcast (ADS-B) In traffic and subscription-free flight information service-broadcast (FIS-B) weather. FIS-B weather products include: NEXRAD, METARs, TAFs, PIREPs, winds and temperatures aloft and more. Exclusive traffic features such as Garmin’s patented TargetTrend and TerminalTraffic further enhance the traffic picture. These ADS-B In benefits combine to give Phenom 100 owners and operators superior situational awareness tools. The GWX 75 weather radar is also available as an option, which incorporates exceptional range and a high-definition color palette that features four-times more color contouring than typically displayed by other weather radars on the market.
The G1000 NXi integrated flight deck in the Phenom 100 also supports additional features, including:
- Pilots can overlay a moving map within the horizontal situation indicator (HSI).
- The addition of SurfaceWatch runway monitoring technology provides visual and aural cues to help prevent pilots from taking off or landing on a taxiway, on a runway that is too short or on the wrong runway.
- Visual approach guidance helps pilots fly a more stable descent and precise flight path throughout the approach and landing phases of flight.
- Split screen view is available on the multi-function display, offering a simultaneous view of maps and charts.
- The addition of sectional charts and IFR low/high en route charts give pilots convenient access to chart data on the flight display.
- Smart Airspace highlights the airspace nearest the aircraft’s current altitude and de-emphasizes non-pertinent airspace.
- Optional Bluetooth connectivity built-in to the audio panel allow pilots to easily stream audio entertainment and make or receive phone calls using their headsets. Additional audio panel functions include 3D Audio and advanced auto squelch.
Modernized displays offer improved readability and state-of-the-art processors support smoother panning and faster map rendering within the G1000 NXi. The G1000 NXi integrated flight deck also incorporates contemporary animations and new LED back-lighting, offering increased display brightness and clarity, reduced power consumption, and improved dimming performance.
The G1000 NXi upgrade for the Phenom 100 is available immediately through select Garmin dealers and Embraer Service and Support centers. The G1000 NXi upgrade for Embraer’s Phenom 300 business jets equipped with the Prodigy Flight Deck is expected to be available during the second half of 2020. The upgraded components of the G1000 NXi also come with a two-year warranty, which is supported by Garmin’s award-winning avionics product support team.
Garmin’s aviation business segment is a leading provider of solutions to OEM, aftermarket, military and government customers. Garmin’s portfolio includes navigation, communication, flight control, hazard avoidance, an expansive suite of ADS-B solutions and other products and services that are known for innovation, reliability, and value.
For decades, Garmin has pioneered new GPS navigation and wireless devices and applications that are designed for people who live an active lifestyle. Garmin serves five primary markets, including automotive, aviation, fitness, marine, and outdoor recreation.